Music Banter - View Single Post - For the right reasons
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post

your second is rather close minded. the amount of money involved in making music for a living is substantially more than most people expect (especially once you start considering the time spent creating and rehearsing). i've got friends releasing their first album next week totally DIY but they still want to break even. they still need to make a good $1000 just to cover the recording and duplication fees, they get $0 for their hard work and dedication to writing and rehearsing their tunes. just because someone is trying to break even or (god forbid) turn a marginal profit does not mean they're automatically corporate shills. even the ones who are usually don't realize it. does timbaland think he makes bad music? i doubt it. would we agree on what music is? i doubt it. would it make him a less worthwhile musician in my book? no.
I've never really understood this argument.
You should go into making music knowing full well you're going to lose money and that nobody owes you a penny.

Writing and rehearsing isn't hard work , it's a hobby and should be treated as such and that includes when it comes to spending money on it.
You want to make a record? that's fine just make sure you can afford it & don't bitch when people start pirating it over the internet.

Basically my opinion is if you want to share your artistic talent to the rest of the world be prepared to do it out of your own pocket & don't start crying when nobody's interested , You have your record you always wanted to make , that should make you happy enough.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote