Music Banter - View Single Post - Inside the JayJamJah Introspective Auditorium
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Inside the JayJamJah Introspective Auditorium

This week in the debut episode my "guest" is Elvis Costello. Focusing on his debut album "My Aim is True"

One of my favorite artists of all time and in my opinion the best musician in the world from 1977-1980. Costello is the definition of a star who understand where and who came from, where he wants to be and those who made it possible for the man from the former to arrive at the later. His name, his look and his music were a tribute to the icons in the life personal and professional and the fans who made him. Born Declan MacManus the change was inspired by, of course, the King of Rock and Roll's first name and his maternal great grandmothers surname.

His debut effort, 1977's "My Aim is True" is nearly perfect as he demonstrates versatility, an understanding and respect of the music while pouring raw emotion in the music with the lyrics and delivery to fittingly match. From the 90 second introduction "Welcome to the working week" to the peppy yet fatalistic finale "Waiting for the end of the World" Costello is on the nose without drawing attention to it. Each full length track has hit single written all over it; "Miracle Man" opens the meat of the album and ups the ante with a ambiguous yet viscous gait. This trait is present throughout the album as the artist uses dichotomy to keep you off balance and interested throughout the album in which, as all great artists seem to do, Costello finds a very unified yet unique feel without fail from track to track. In pure serendipity the albums potential title track is instead titled "Allison" and one of the titles most popular efforts. Personal highlights from the album include "Blame it on Cain", "Red Shoes" and "Less then Zero". Also my favorite Costello track ever "Watching the Detectives" was released just prior to the album and eventually found a home as the 13th track on the initially 12 song release.

Following his debut album's success Costello recruited his first band to share the marquee "The Attractions" and released two more albums before the end of the decade the solid but not spectacular "This year's Model" and the famously fantastic "Armed Forces". Still, while many fans will disagree, to me, he never recaptured the magic and pure raw perfection of "My Aim is True"

Costello has continued to make great music even to today. Now 53, he continues to create, releasing 7 albums this decade and 24 in total. Ten times he has peaked in the top ten, four times at #2 but has never had a number 1 album. Mariah Carey has had 5. The album is done playing and so is this episode.

Thanks, see you next time.

Here is a look at video from the first Costello show I ever attended. Not sure who shot it but thanks very much for sharing. I hope you all enjoy it!

YouTube - Elvis Costello - "Radio Radio" Live in Detroit, 1978

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 04-23-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote