Music Banter - View Single Post - 20 X 5
Thread: 20 X 5
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

TOP 5:AVANT GARDE/EXPERIMENTAL

NO 5:THE RESIDENTS-TWEEDLES

I am a relative newcomer to the strange but brilliant world of The Residents. A band that has been together for over thirty years, yet they are shrouded in mystery. To describe The Residents is actually doing them a dis-service. Their music just IS. It is'nt particulary complex and regularly has straightforward easily recognisable rock traits, however their unique approach to what exactly is a three minute track is what makes them a true one off.

Tweedles is one of their more recent releases (2006) and was actually concieved by a Residents fan wanting his favourite band to test out his newly built studio to which they duly obliged.

The tracks lyrical themes deal with dark sexuality and are mainly spoken by "The Singing Resident" as he takes us on a journey regarding a sexually obsessed clown while taking in angular metal like riffs, musique concrete, melancholy ambience and that unique layered Resident approach to vocals.

This review is fairly inadequate as I am fairly new to this album, yet each time I hear it, I get dragged into it's own delirious and surreal world. A good place to start if you have never heard one of rock's most original outfits.

<The Residents Blog>

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote