Music Banter - View Single Post - Female VS. Male Singers
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
KeithMoon2112
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
Would I be wrong in thinking that women have less range than the more versatile male singers, in a pop/rock context?

Not sure if it's worth the comparison.

All I know is that there there aren't enough decent female musician-***-role models in the mainstream these days, where are the Patti Smiths? The only ones I can think of are old news - PJ Harvey, Bjork, Kate Bush (Tori Amos was from one of her hairs, fact fans) blardy blah...
I happen to thing Charlotte Hatherley is one of the finest songwriters out there right now, however. I'm her stalker.
I think the range itself (your highest and lowest notes) varies from person to person, not sex to sex.

However, you could be on to something, a male can get very low and use his falcetto to get very high (to hit the note at least, it might not sound pretty). Girls can also get very high, higher than most males, but they probably can not get very low.

So assuming a male and female both have, lets say, 20 notes in their range, the male's could be all over the staff, but the female might be restricted to the upper parts...but this is all hypothetical and probably has little science behind it :P