Music Banter - View Single Post - Who is a natural guitarist here?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirLMJ View Post
I'm asking because I am one myself, and it really helps when it comes to writing songs on guitar. The songs I have written are...I'd have to say really good ones.
I tend to find myself efffortlessly coming up with tunes, I have so many it's hard to catch up. I have lots of tapes with recordings on them.
When it comes to the lyrics- I am a natural poet, so I don't have any problems there, except that I am a perfectionist.
I have so many unfinished lyrics, lol, it's ridiculous. You'd think that I could come up with a few last lines for the last chorus but I can't...but I'm working on it.

Any one feel free to post their thoughts on these topics.
tbh this post makes you sound very arrogant. I don't think any artist can rate their work as good or bad, thats up to the audience to decide, as with any form of self expression they are the factor that determines whether you sink or swim.

At any rate, no-one would write a song they don't like the sound of because if they did they would change it, so of course you like your own work, just as I enjoy listening to the music I compose. The difference is that I enjoy it for my own reasons. I have no reason, no way, and no benefit from forcing my opinion onto other people, it will only serve to alienate, which is the last thing anyone wants, when their craft is dependent on the opinion of others above all else!

Also, I don't believe there really is such a thing as a 'natural' musician. You may have one or other aptitude that aids in the process, like the ability to sit down and create without prior inspiration, the ability to force yourself into a specific state of mind to create, or to easily translate a note from the head to the fingers, but so many different factors go into music that its very hard to believe anyone could be a 'natural' at even a tenth of them, let alone them all!

In short, I think I will reserve judgement on the quality of your work, until I can judge it myself and give you an objective opinion. Everyone has a different reading of the same thing, and when it comes to a creation of artistic nature, or for the purpose of mass appeal, the artists is almost always the least important!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote