Music Banter - View Single Post - Gun crime
Thread: Gun crime
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
joderu95
Music Addict

True, chainsaws and knives would most certainly qualify as a violent death. I guess it doesn't do a lot of good to compare gun laws and violent crime rates in one country to the same in another when violent crime, as you note, can be committed in a variety of ways. If you compare gun laws you should compare gun crimes is all I am saying. (and I realize you did not create the thread with that comparison)

The statistics say this:

1. Canada has proportionately less of its violent crime committed by guns than the U.S..
2. The homicide rate in the U.S. is several times higher than Canada's.

There are certainly loads of statistics where it is a pretty straightforward process to determine a cause. Stats that deal with complex societal issues like this though are not among them. The very definition of a violent crime might even differ between the two countries. Or it could vary by jurisdiction even within each country. If that is the case coming it is going to be even more difficult.

Quote:
just because we use chainsaws and knives to kill each other instead of pistols doesn't mean it's not violent death.
I don't disagree with that in the least.