Music Banter - View Single Post - NBA thread
Thread: NBA thread
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #102 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joderu95 View Post
I agree. Or at least I agree that it is being played well when compared to how well you or I could play or an NBA team vs. a college team. Its ability to entertain me has gone way done in the last 15 years. There are very few great shooters like there used to be. It's a league of slashers and dunkers and you do need those guys, but it would be more fun to watch with some more really great shooters on the floor. And there are some rule changes that should at least be experimented with.

1. Move the 3-pt. line in to college distance. Now college is moving it out, why? Whatever they decide it should be the same between college and the NBA.
2. Let the defense camp in the key as long as they damn well want, it's called a zone (not allowing this defeats the purpose of the zone in the first place).
3. Why do players have to foul out? It is the only sport where this happens. Change the rule so that after 5 or 6 fouls the other team gets two shots and the ball or three shots and the ball but don't send the guy out for the rest of the game.
4. I am not sure if this is the case or not because I almost never watch the NBA anymore but get that semi-circle under the basket painted on every court if it's not already. This gives the referee a reference point to determine where charges can be taken.
I disagree I think the NBA has gotten much better consistently over the past 10 years. It's not quite what it was in the 1980's but it's better then the late 90's for sure. Also there are way more great shooters now then there ever were before. Guys don't stand out like they used to however because almost everyone can shoot now. Currently 11 of the top 15 players in career 3-pt% are active. The NBA record for three pointers was set the last three seasons. I'll agree that guys take worse shots and maybe the game isn't as crisp as it once was, but the talent and athleticism levels are the highest they've ever been.

To address your suggestions, which I mostly like the sentiment behind.

1. They tried that in the mid-nineties and it was awful. Guys like Charles Oakley and Hakeem starting hitting threes. The fact that that the line in high school and college (until next year) is so close is a major reason that shooting was become less valuable. The difference between a HS and NBA three is huge and really does demand outstanding skill to make consistently.

2. Zone defense is for teams who are not good enough to play man-to-man. If the NBA allowed traditional zone defense only bad teams would play it primarily and it would muck up the game.

3. I love this idea in theory but Basketball has always been a game where fouls have played into strategy. Even though it would be weird to see it change I do think it would benefit the game. I think officials would be more "honest" and consistent. How many time do you hear an announcer say "you can't give a guy his sixth foul on a play like that" or something to that effect. Maybe the player should be required to sit for 2 mins or so each time his personal fouls exceed the limit.

4. That circle is everywhere and is used by officials to decide if a player was far enough from the goal to take a charge. I hate charging, I don't think it should be an offensive foul unless the offensive player initiates contact. It's essentially an undercut, in football or Hockey (much more physical sports) it would be a foul on the defender or a no call. I think if the player gets there in time it should be a no call and if the defender is late, or is determined to have flopped it should be a defensive foul.

Creative ideas and thinking.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote