Music Banter - View Single Post - NBA thread
Thread: NBA thread
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #104 (permalink)
joderu95
Music Addict

I'm glad to hear you like the sentiment behind if not the rule changes themselves. I think your more conventional ideas about the game are shared by league rule makers.

Quote:
They tried that in the mid-nineties and it was awful.
Yes, but did they allow zone at the same time? Let's see what happens when the rules between college and professional are consistent.

Playing zone is not soley determined because a team is bad at defense, it is also used when the other team matches up poorly against it. You go with what works for your particular team. If there are so many good shooters in the league they should carve up teams that play zone. But we can't know for sure because the league does not allow a real zone defense. The league may have instituted this semi-zone nonsense (undermining it with the defensive 3in the key rule) to appease those in favor of the zone while not affecting the number of dunks in a game. It wouldn't be as sensational on ESPN highlight compilations.

Quote:
I don't think it should be an offensive foul unless the offensive player initiates contact.
Your right and it's not. That is how it is supposed to be ruled at least. This is one of the least understood rules in sports. Commentators get caught up on if the defenders feet are moving when it has nothing to do with the foul. The charge/block is called based on (1.) who initiates contact and (2.) where the player with the ball is when that contact occurs. The offensive player's head and shoulders need to be around the defender before it can be called a blocking foul.