Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #691 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Thats a rather outrageous opinion for a prog fan to have, especially The Beatles when considering the massive influence Sgt Peppers had on the genre.

And Radiohead? Why the hate for Radiohead? I know they are generally disliked in prog circles but I never understood why. They're undeniably one of the most creative bands currently making music.

I know some prog bands hate that some people think they are prog. But even if they are not prog what they're doing is certainly progressive (not always the same thing). You really telling me theres nothing you like about them?

As for Indie, I hate a lot if myself as anyone here will tell you, mainly modern Indie. But not all of it sucks. I think its kinda crazy to say it does considering how broad a term Indie is anyway. Theres some really good Indie out there. Since you're a prog fan you should at least check out some post-rock and math rock.
I can understand how contrary much "indie" is to the tastes of a diehard fan of prog. Also, I assume the meaning of indie here is more referring to the music that has its roots in punk/new wave. But the idea that that sort of indie is somehow not experimental or whatever is ridiculous. It just experiments in a different way. Prog with complexity, indie with simplicity and minimalism.

Tool, though, from the standpoint of rock/prog history, ought to be considered (at least as far as their 2/3 better albums go) as a good, even virtuosic, band within the genre. That goes without saying, in spite of my personal dislikes for the band.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote