Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #692 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
I can understand how contrary much "indie" is to the tastes of a diehard fan of prog. Also, I assume the meaning of indie here is more referring to the music that has its roots in punk/new wave. But the idea that that sort of indie is somehow not experimental or whatever is ridiculous. It just experiments in a different way. Prog with complexity, indie with simplicity and minimalism.
I think as boo boo said indie is too broad to be pigeonholed with statements like simplicity and minimalism. I mean going back to its roots lets look at the Velvet Underground they we're a pretty intricate band in themselves. I think there was much more going on with them then you hear on Sgt. Peppers, that's not a put down to either I mean Sgt. Peppers is one of my favorite Beatles albums. That's just looking back at alternative's roots going through the ages tons of big bands have been fairly complex. I mean sure you have Pavement who are pretty straight-forward guitar rock band but on the other hand you also have The Flaming Lips (I'm talking Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin type stuff) they're very complex and considered indie. Plus there's bands like Battles who completely bridge the genres of prog/indie.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote