Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:42 AM   #695 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I think as boo boo said indie is too broad to be pigeonholed with statements like simplicity and minimalism. I mean going back to its roots lets look at the Velvet Underground they we're a pretty intricate band in themselves. I think there was much more going on with them then you hear on Sgt. Peppers, that's not a put down to either I mean Sgt. Peppers is one of my favorite Beatles albums. That's just looking back at alternative's roots going through the ages tons of big bands have been fairly complex. I mean sure you have Pavement who are pretty straight-forward guitar rock band but on the other hand you also have The Flaming Lips (I'm talking Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin type stuff) they're very complex and considered indie. Plus there's bands like Battles who completely bridge the genres of prog/indie.
I agree with what you're saying - definitely if you take everything that is referred to as indie, it's way way too broad to pigeonhole with such statements. However, I think that when proggies attack indie music, they're generally referring to the more kind of simple bare basics minimal guitar pop/rock style of the 90s and current decade. This they seem to consider as representing all (or almost all) indie - which needless to say, is wrong.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote