Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #756 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Dude, I'm totally with you on the point that these bands may be making what is essentially "good" music that is highly listenable and enjoyable. The problem for me is that, as we seem to be agreed on, the vast majority of this "New Prog" business is without a doubt highly derivative of 70s bands. I'm sure there are very worthy exceptions (there are certainly exceptions within prog metal, for that I can vouch), but as far as the derivative bands go, I want to hear something that screams out "21st Century" and not 1971.
Vice versa, theres a lot of Indie bands right now stuck in 1981.

In fact I think a lot of Indie is derivative. I can recall the many times when someone recommends a band to me only to be some crappy post punk band with pathetic Ian Curtis or David Byrne ripoff vocals. Animal Collective is one of these bands you keep saying is doing innovative things, but they sound like early 90s Flaming Lips just with what sounds like Atari 2600 sound effects, I don't see the big deal about that.

Quote:
I used to be into modern "prog" music and stuff, until it occurred to me that most of what I was hearing turned out basically to be an inferior version of something much better from decades earlier. That kinda put a dent in the whole thing for me.
I don't think you're looking hard enough.

Quote:
Porcupine Tree I would venture to say have talent, but haven't really done anything I'd dare to even begin to call unique. And sorry but their best albums were clearly inspired by Pink Floyd whether Wilson cares to accept that or otherwise. Can't argue with a sound.
Only they don't sound like Pink Floyd, being influenced by and sounding like are two entirely different things.

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is, I believe the real "experimental rock" of the era lies precisely in indie bands like Deerhoof, Animal Collective and so forth
I think Deerhoof are horrible, if the future of music really rests in the hands of some mediocre noise rock band with Yoko Ono vocals then thats very depressing.

Quote:
who have sounds that are truly something else altogether.
Some new sounds are best left unexplored IMO.

While some of these bands are doing new things, I think they have done it at the cost of melody and accessibility. Yes, I am saying that these bands are less melodic and accessible than prog bands. Prog is complex but a lot of it is still very melodic. Now we have guys who skip the melody part and just want to be complex, but they don't have anywhere near the talent that prog bands do so the end result is something thats not as complex as much as its just a disorganized mess. Thats just my opinion though.

Quote:
And I find it irritating that many diehard prog fans (not accusing you) attack indie bands because they're supposedly not cutting edge enough or "progressive", while they themselves listen to bands that lie pretty much at the apex of derivative.
My main problem with modern Indie is I just don't think a lot of these bands are talented.

EDIT: You use quotes too much.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 05-03-2008 at 07:39 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote