Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #757 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I think Deerhoof are horrible, if the future of music really rests in the hands of some mediocre noise rock band with Yoko Ono vocals then thats very depressing.
Quote:
Some new sounds are best left unexplored IMO.
Quote:
While some of these bands are doing new things, I think they have done it at the cost of melody and accessibility. Yes, I am saying that these bands are less melodic and accessible than prog bands.
Very possible. Certainly, I do not think prog in general is inaccessible at all, and your claims about melody may well be correct. But melody is not the aim of these bands. Many of Beethoven's contemporaries wrote much better minuets that he ever did, but that was because he was trying to do something else altogether. Similarly, these bands are trying to go beyond the banality of well tried-and-tested formats.

Quote:
Now we have guys who skip the melody part and just want to be complex, but they don't have anywhere near the talent that prog bands do
True that they are generally not instrumental virtuosi, but again, technical proficiency is not the aim and inventive/playful exploration is. And ultimately, I think "talent" is best kept as a measure of creative brilliance rather than technical prominence.

On the topic of Deerhoof though, I would like to strongly recommend you to listen to Friend Opportunity because melodically that album is unbelievable. Some of the best melody writing I've heard this half of the decade.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote