Music Banter - View Single Post - 20 X 5
Thread: 20 X 5
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

No 1:PINK FLOYD-PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN

You what? You can't include this in your Avant Garde/Experimental top 5! Oh yes I can, because it is effortlessly Experimental and as debuts go, decidedly leftfield. I have already reviewed the album on this site here:
http://www.musicbanter.com/editors-p...-reviewed.html, so because that exists I will say a little about WHY I made this choice.

I got into Pink Floyd at approx 18 ( which was half a lifetime ago for me) and it was the Gilmour era that I had heard. After a few years I finally heard Piper and I was completely dismayed. What the hell was this nursery rhyme freak-out shit? How could a band with such lush and ambient soundscapes make an album so disjointed and amateurish?

Time softens the body but sharpens the mind. Piper was revisited extensively about 6 years ago and my disdain grew to admiration and finally blossomed into utter devotion. The phenomenal success the Floyd recieved is so encumbent on this album I almost want to brand myself for uttering such sacrilege all those years ago.

Forget Sgt. Peppers. Piper has shaped the English musical landscape like no other. Monstrous heavy riffs crash and collide amidst gentle English eccentricity to create an album that is rapidly becoming my favourite Floyd album. Once you 'get' it then the album takes on a whole new meaning. It has character, style and uniqueness that fully warrants top spot in this genre and maybe more top 10 finishes in critics circles if only they had the balls.

Phenomenal album. RIP Syd.

Lucifer Sam (one of my albumfaves):

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote