Music Banter - View Single Post - Practicing Singing - How Long? Help!?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
chabaz
Groupie

Default Practicing Singing - How Long? Help!?

My friends and I have started a band, and I'm replacing the last singer they had, which was a tenor, and I am a bass. My band myspace link is @ myspace com . /godsblack45 .

We have been practicing a bunch, but I have been trying to get better at learning and recreating the songs and sounding good. Now our guitarist is pretty crazy and whacked out, he pretty much wants me to sound exactly like the last singer, Dan. He's also set on everyone practicing - especially me five hours a day. Now I've been doing some research online lately, and I've found out it's not good whatsoever to practice extensively for that long.

I've even read that it's better to practice for 20 minutes a day correctly, than hours at a time not really knowing what you are doing, or singing the wrong way.

I've been going to vocal lessons lately, and I've been getting a bit better, and even my vocal coach told me that I am improving a good deal. I asked my vocal coach how long I should practice and he said an hour a day is plenty sufficient. But, again I tell our guitarist (which is pretty much the idea behind the band) that I should only practice around an hour a day, and not try to throw my voice out and novices don't need that amount of practice.

I'm just looking for advice, any comments would be greatly appreciated. I would just like to know about how long I should practice, especially for me being a bass and wanting to sound higher and clearer and hitting the notes properly. And if it's even humanly possible.

A couple of my sources were:

-I could'nt post my sources because I can't post URL's yet - But PM me for them if you would like. They were just on yahoo answers, dummies.com, and some other vocal sites that were talking about singing practice

Like I said before, I've been taking lessons, but I want to know if it's even worth it to put my time and money into this when it's going to take years and years to perfect when we are trying to get this up and running very soon.

Thanks again.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't know which really to post it in.
chabaz is offline   Reply With Quote