Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #881 (permalink)
Mr Nic
Occasionally Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joderu95 View Post
No, I wouldn't like to explain. That is why there is a link to the article, so you can read it.
Having read your 2 year old article I still fail to see where you are coming from. The article clearly states that the violent acts described are perpetrated because of anti-American feelings. It has nothing to do with 'soccer' per se. The same would be evident if U.S. baseball or NFL teams regularly played in Central America (although it might help if anywhere outside the U.S. actually took those sports seriously).

"The anti-American sentiment is the biggest thing," said goalkeeper Tim Howard, who plays club soccer in England. "As Americans, we play the big brother role. People either resent that or appreciate it. They either thank you or hate you."

Goalkeeper Kasey Keller, who plays professionally in Germany, is able to separate politics from fan passion. "The way we are treated and the way the country is perceived is different," he said. "Yes, some people are critical of Americans as a whole or critical of our policies, but nobody is mad at me personally."

In summary, I'd say stop talking sh*te and try going to a few 'soccer' matches before making ill informed judgements.
Mr Nic is offline   Reply With Quote