Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #221 (permalink)
KeithMoon2112
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post

Tommy gets a lot of flack from purists who didn't like The Whos change of direction. I personally prefer Rock Opera/Stadium Rock Who to the Mod days. That album just has an amazing flow and feel to it. Maybe my favorite Who album, but between it and Whos Next its close.

And Relayer is amazing. The Gates of Delirium is pure chaos, and Soon is a gorgeous ballad, Steve Howes pedal steel playing is otherworldly.
I see Tommy as bridge and as a sign of things to come. You have the Mod version of the Who in The Who Sings My Generation, A Quick One, and Sell Out and you have the hard rocking version of the Who with Who's Next, Who Are You, and Face Dances. In the middle there's Tommy.

I downloaded Relayer last year and it slowly grew on me. I saw it in a record store a month ago and didn't even hesitate to buy it. I borrowed my High School's record player (no one uses it anymore) and played Gates of Delirium and I just sat there staring at the included lyrics (I don't really read lyrics when I'm casually listening to iTunes or such).

Brilliant song writing.