Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #1076 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph! View Post
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
angst Audio Help /ɑŋkst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ahngkst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural äng·ste Audio Help /ˈɛŋkstə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[engk-stuh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. a feeling of dread, anxiety, or anguish.

You aren't very familiar with Oomph then, because Oomph's use of the synthasizer easily competes with even top tier industrial pioneers in terms of complexity, thickness, skill, etc.
Anxiety is a feeling of concern or dread over possible future situations. Angst is a pervading despair over your current situation. So you might be anxious about a test you have tomorrow, but if you're going through an episode of angst you're just dwelling on all the multitudinous woes of adolescence. Angst is not just a type of anxiety, but takes on a very specific connotation especially when one refers to "teenage angst."

I'd say in terms of familiarity, it's you who isn't too familiar with "top tier industrial pioneers" since most of them didn't use synthesizers, and those who did used it mainly to generate drones and noise. Drones are the opposite of complexity and neither drones nor noise require a whole lot of skill. Early industrial had absolutely nothing to do with skill or technical ability, or, straight out of the horse's mouth:

"And he printed this page, learn 3 chords, form a band. Then, in the next issue, he interviewed me and I said, why learn 3 chords? Why learn any chords?" -Genesis P-Orridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph! View Post
Also, industrial metal is 'false industrial'.

Also, only laymen use the genre 'industrial metal' to describe Oomph. They are NHD, Electronica, EBM, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, and a bunch of other things that we haven't invented names for.
So then... you agree that they are pseudo-Industrial?
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote