Music Banter - View Single Post - Californication, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 1999 Warner Brothers
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #143 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Does anyone else like Frusciantes backing vocals?

I really like it on Californication. And By The Way for that matter.

You know, I think By The Way is better than people give it credit for. Listening to it now. It grows on me with each listen. And listening to it with some good headphones for once I think I might have been too harsh when I said this album is a waste of Flea and Frooshes talent. Its just a bit more low key but theres some solid riffs and basslines to be heard.

Stadium Arcadium is still a huge disappointment though.
By the Way is excellent IMO and very underrated, but maybe nostalgia is playing a part here. I still can't help but be a bit disappointed with Stadium Arcadium - it feels contrived to me (I know I've said this many times before).

There's nothing wrong with music being poppy, but when it feels contrived, it sounds tedious/weary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Yeah.

Btw what do you think of the production on Californication? On really good speakers and headphones you can hear a lot of fuzz and crackle with the drum and bass. But I actually like the lo fo approach that Rick Rubin was going for.
I think Cali's production has too much treble.