Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Never-ending A to Z
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

1000 Homo Djs - Supernaut EP - 1990

I used to own this on vinyl and I loved it, But that was 10/12 years ago.

1000 Homo Dj's is yet another Al Jourgensen side project. Jello Biafra is also involved in there somewhere although everybody involved used aliases, not all of which have ever been revealed.
It was rumored that Trent Reznor sung on this but it's not true. His record company refused clearance and in the end Jourgensen recorded the vocals himself. Reznor's version has seen the light of day since but i've never heard it.
The version of Supernaut here is my favourite Sabbath cover i've heard. It takes all the good things from the original and just cranks it up to borderline noise.
Hey Asshole is a novelty , an 8 minute long song about getting pulled over by the police , but it's far too repetetive to sustain the length on repeated listens and just gets boring.
The EP finishes with 2 songs originally recorded for Ministry's The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste album. Releasing these two songs were originally the reason this EP was conceived , and they're not bad. Apathy is pretty decent with it's stomping drums and it's off kilter horns wailing away in the background.
The final song Better Ways is just your typical slow 80s industrial metal dirge and really does nothing for me.
A mixed bag really , two good songs , one song thats OK the first time you hear it , and one boring song. Only the Sabbath cover could really be considered essential.

Rating 5/10

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote