Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Artist: Round 2: Poll K
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #36 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
If you actually undertood the direction they were taking, and have listened to a lot of prog, especially the more avant garde stuff like Henry Cow, then I don't see what makes The Mars Volta so inaccessible by comparison. Hell, I find there to be a lot more sturcture in De-Loused then say Tago Mago by Can.

Known in some Indie circles as "The only good prog band"
You know, I do like a lot of prog. I would completely agree with you in that bands like King Crimson and Can and Henry Cow are far, far better than run-of-the-mill stuff like Modest Mouse and Okkervil River and Vampire Weekend and bands of that ilk. I just find TMV, specifically their last album, to be absolutely awful. As a big ATDI fan, TMV are disappointing to me. It's just the way it is...other people might, and clearly do, feel differently. Good.

I really do like prog music, admittedly in fairly small doses, but I appreciate it's artistic merit. King Crimson and Can are high on my list of favourite bands and they are the prog bands I continually go back to. To be honest, I don't think our tastes in music are too different, boo boo. I don't want to continue arguing this, as like most arguments it's a trivial matter. I accept that you, and others, like TMV and I respect that you enjoy their music. It's just not for me.