Music Banter - View Single Post - Inspiration - Yngwie Malmsteen
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

so being bored and feeling a little masochistic today i did a search for malmsteen covering spanish castle magic. there's only a live version on youtube (i won't embed it since it makes the site load slow).

YouTube - Yngwie Malmsteen - Spanish Castle Magic

the band only seems to know how to groove in default 80s cheese metal but whatever this is about guitar. in the same way that discretion is the better part of valor restraint is the better part of the blues. overplaying EVERY single lick possible in the solo and trying to offset it by overextending a single bend doesn't make up for his lack of tact.

he almost had me fooled for the 2nd solo though, he started out decent enough but quickly went back into his comfort zone of playing way too many notes. granted hendrix embellished his solos live but he still let the music flow through him as opposed to maintaining rigid control through overplaying.

i understand he's all about shredding and jerking off is tons of fun but it does get old after a while.

in his defense i'll say that his take on hendrix is better than winger's cover of 'purple haze'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote