Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Club
Thread: Album Club
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #39 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

It really annoys me how whenever people discuss 90s indie rock Built to Spill is usually completely left out of the conversation. I mean with There's Nothing Wrong with Love they showed themselves to be pop masters and still able to do some very odd things with it underneath the surface, odd time signatures, weird chords etc. but with this album Built to Spill show straight off how musically ambitious they are, the shortest being under 5 minutes and the longest being just 9 minutes they went completely epic which was pretty opposite of what all that post-pavement weezer/presidents of the USA crap indie bands tended to be doing at the time.

Now I've always been hesitant to listen to this album because I'd seen the words epic thrown around and lots of talk of the guitar work and looking at it was about three times as broad in its scope so I expected some serious overindulgence but I was shocked to find how well it flowed and how they didn't really pompous or bloated to me at all in fact these songs seem to flow together seamlessly and move with the gentle grace of a dancer who is indeed perfect from now on.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote