Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I Really The Only One?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
15Steps
The Passenger

Default no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Actually it was the other way around.

It was Blur who were hyped to death. Blur were from London and were middle class. The people who worked for the NME & Melody Maker were from London and middle class. The last thing they wanted was a bunch of northern working class oiks muscling in. Most of the Oasis hype came from Noel & Liams mouths.
Blur were the media darlings , while Oasis were the people's favourite.

The whole Blur vs Oasis thing was all down to Damon Albarn & his buddy Steve Sutherland who just happened to be the editor of the NME. They thought they could sell more papers & records by instigating the whole thing. It was Blur who moved release dates so that their stuff would come out the same day as Oasis.
Sadly it backfired on them badly , Blur released easily their worst album ever in The Great Escape while Oasis went on to become the biggest selling British band in the UK ever and have 10% of the entire population of the UK apply for tickets to their 2 Knebworth gigs.

These days Albarn refuses to even discuss what happened during that whole time while Noel just laughs about it. Which for me says everything.

RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

how can you say the great escape was a bad album? it was a fantastic release, not their best album, but easily their 2nd or 3rd best.
every single song on wts sounded exactly the same, because all oasis does is writes the same songs over and over again, hoping to release another album like wts. and lets not even begin to talk about how bad everything they released after it, be here now and forward were basically terrible.
blur on the otherhand changed styles multiple times throughout their lifetime, just look at how much they changed from "Parklife" (which was one of the greatest brit pop albums ever along with "Modern Life Is Rubbish") to "13" all the way to "Think Tank".

taking all this into account, tell me again why oasis was better than blur

also, blur were FAR from being the media favorite, just look at how arrogant and proud Liam was whenever in interviews, he was ALWAYS trying to be a john lennon, when all he was in reality was an *******.

also, the past couple days i really listened to some of modest mouse's really early stuff (from like 01 and back)
some of it is actually really quite good. i think everything they put out after that was just wayyy too average, and i think they were trying too hard.