Music Banter - View Single Post - The Case For/ The Case Against..
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #45 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I probably should've made it clearer that my post wasn't directed at you or anyone else here, just my general thoughts on the whole thing. I don't think they're bad musicians or make bad music, and I can't recall ever insulting someone simply because they listen to Led Zeppelin. Many of the bands I listen to were probably influenced by Zeppelin, so it'd be a little idiotic if I did.
Yeah I wasn't really referring to you.

Quote:
Again, though, that doesn't justify anything. I don't know. Maybe because you're admittedly a Zeppelin fanboy, you just can't see how ridiculous it sounds when people use that argument. It's like hearing some guy tell his daughter, "It's okay to be a prostitute at fourteen, sweetie, a bunch of other girls are."
Actually I could easly make an argument for it.

You gotta understand, the style of blues is a very restricted one. Both with the style of chords, 8 and 12 barre blues and with the simple blues and pentatonic scales. Now when you have god knows how many musicians playing within the confines of this very restricted style of playing. Its pretty much inevitable that some sh*t is going to sound the same. The same goes for a lot of punk and metal.

There are god knows how many musicians in the world. And god knows how many people play basic chord changes and use the basic pentatonic scale. If this is what you're playing, then its goddamn impossible for you to be completely original.

Quote:
Doing covers is fine, but when it's an uncredited cover, that's when it becomes a rip-off.
Nope. Its a cover. A ripoff (in the context of music) is directly taking or imitating something like a riff or a melody or whatever and applying it to something else. Warning by Green Day, which uses the same riff from The Kinks Picture Book, that is a ripoff.

Doing an uncredited cover of a Jack Holmes song that barely even sounds like the original song at all, is not a ripoff. Its an uncredited cover. Stop exagerating.

Quote:
If you take credit for writing something that you did not write, you've ripped the original artist off, be it a riff, a lyric or an entire song.
And yet if you watch the videos of the songs they covered, you wont find the riffs that Page "stole", there, or goddamn anywhere. Because its a lie. Even with their covers, his riffs were original contributions. Seriously listen to the songs they covered and tell me how much of the stuff in Zeppelins versions are stolen.

They did uncredited covers and it was certainly wrong for them not to credit the writers. But they took these covers turned them inside out and made them their own, that dosen't justify not crediting the writers. But it certainly contradicts all the crap about them being uncreative. Band members having a bit of an ego problem does not justify all the stupid crap that is said about them, that they were completely unoriginal and completely incapable of composing their own songs. I can tell you weither you like Zeppelin or not, that is bull****.

And lets remember this all began with Ethan describing IV with the words "stolen riffs", and hilarious enough none of the examples given relate to that album at all, because theres no alleged plagiarism on that album at all, let alone any stolen riffs.

Except for the alledged stealing of the riff from Spirits Taurus for the Stairway to Heaven intro, never mind that it just a similar use of chords changes but with different notes used, something that could be used to discribe material from countless musicians, generic use of chords is not plagiarism. It is known that Page got the idea of that part from Spirit however, and wouldn't you believe it? He actually approached the band about it.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 05-22-2008 at 10:38 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote