Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #1198 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack fire drill View Post
Yeah but if someone's going to claim you could erase the Beatles from rock history and nothing would be changed don't you think they should provide evidence as well? You've given nothing concrete at all just a few guesses at all and you even contradict yourself, you say they were just stealing from underground bands that were around at the same time then turn around and say their roots were in the 50s and 40s? Maybe you should get your own accusations straight before you make them.
I didn't say they stole from the underground, this is about influence. They took on and adapted both obscure and popular styles of the times. As for their roots being in the 40s and 50s, by that I'm referring to their focus on melody and song. So basically, putting the two claims together, I'm saying that they took the new emerging styles of the 60s but with the twist of putting them into their own retro pop format.

About being able to erase them from history, I say that because if you look at the music that came in the next decade and onwards, for the most part it has its roots in the 60s but very rarely seems to owe much to the Beatles. At least I don't see how it would, anyway. I haven't heard all that much from the 70s that really sounds like it's descended from the Beatles. But plenty that sounds like it has descended from a lot of the other popular bands of the era.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 05-24-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote