Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Miles Davis the greatest ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #81 (permalink)
phallpdx
Groupie

While I think that Miles was a fantastic musician... and technically amazing. I think that the reason he is so famous in the jazz world is for his constant innovation. Listen to Kind of Blue and then listen to Bitches Brew. These are two very different albums, two albums that we very edgy and pushed the listener just the right amount. It is not just his technical ability, but what he did with it.
I think that after a certain point of technical ability it is impossible to say who is the *best*, because after a certain point everything gets really niche-y. Who is the best at what, and so on.

In terms of modern day heroes for a young jazz artist like myself, I look to the new generation of jazz musicians pushing their craft (go to youtube and look up "Brian Blade drum solo jazz crimes") -- People like these guys are the new Miles Davises.

By the way, there are plenty of musicians from back in the day who are on par with Miles. Look at Coltrane, Parker, Gillespie, Monk, Han****. Miles often gets the spotlight while equally fantastic musicians get overlooked, at least by the main stream.
phallpdx is offline   Reply With Quote