Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Track Mixtape Thread (Song Lists Without Links Will Be Deleted)
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #258 (permalink)
JoelWhyRock
Groupie

1. The Clash - "Clampdown"
This song just plays on all of my favorite things about my favorite band. Mick and Joe both sing, Topper busts out a great beat, and the lyrics speak of class division. The Clash's activism is what sets this song apart among their greatest.

2. Weezer - "In The Garage"
Besides the fact that it accurately describes my teenage experience thus far, there has always been something about the ridiculously high sustained guitar notes in the pop-era Weezer songs that lures me in.

3. The Beatles - "Yesterday"
This song was there for me in my saddest of times, through break-ups or deaths. The string arrangement also kicks major ass.

4. Beck - "Devil's Haircut"
I crank this up in my car and blast it out my windows anytime I just need some refreshment. It makes no difference whether or not I completely comprehend the lyrics, honestly.

5. Modest Mussorgsky, arr. Elgar Howarth - "The Great Gate of Kiev"
This is the most powerful song I've ever heard and when I played in the Indianapolis Brass Choir with it, I instantly got goosebumps. That French Horn part soars and impresses in good recordings.

6. The Temptations - "Ain't Too Proud To Beg"
The epitome of the Motown sound for me. The passion in the vocals gets me every time.

7. Queen - "Don't Stop Me Now
Every time I hear this song, I imagine Freddy standing alone on a stage and performing what amounts to a Broadway show. It's an amazingly dynamic song with all the Queen attitude.

8. Oasis - "Don't Look Back In Anger"
Each song on this list makes me sing along, but this song takes me to a different place. I always feel like I am at a live show and I just start shouting when this song.

9. The Strokes - "Reptilia"
In my belief, this is the best song in the current wave of indie rock. It's so raw and energetic and I pound the steering wheel to death to the catchy-ass drum beat.

10. Sufjan Stevens - "Chicago"
The song that made me want to get in front of a keyboard and just lightly tap the keys as I pour my soul out. Sufjan is a vastly underrated singer-songwriter.
JoelWhyRock is offline   Reply With Quote