Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #1654 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
My main argument rests on the point that people rate them for things they didn't actually do, like inventing everything in rock music
No one ever says that.

Quote:
or for being the one cutting edge act which set all the trends.
No one ever says that either, they simply set more trends than any other band. That much is no bull****.

Quote:
Reality says that most of the styles they emulated in the late 60s had already become standard in some faction of the rock music community as much as 2 years earlier to when they did it, and that they themselves were trying to live up to the cutting-edgeness of The Fugs, Cream, The Yardbirds, The Doors etc.
They were competitive, not unoriginal. They took styles from different genres of music and blended them into their own sound, thats what bands do. Revolver may not have been the first psychedelic album, but it was certainly that album that was the bridge between psychedelic as an underground thing and psychedelic as a mainstream genre of music, and thats very important considering psychedelic rocks relevance to the growing counter culture of the 60s. Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour took things furthur and almost completely broke any restrictions for what a rock band can do. Prog probably never would have happened without The Beatles.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.