Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 03:26 AM   #1667 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Boy View Post
Are you trying to prove you know more about the creation of Pet Sounds than Brian Wilson? I don't think anyone ever claimed the Beatles or the Beach Boys invented vocal harmonies either. You seem to spend more of your time trying to disprove claims no ones made but trying to make it sound like they're the same claims someones made.
Wilson was influenced by the so-called unity of the album. That each song seemed to lead into the next (any such effect at any rate is the work of George Martin who assembled the tracks). Wilson was not influenced by the SOUND. The Beatles, on the other hand, were influenced by the SOUND of Pet Sounds. What part of that is difficult to understand?

I brought up the vocal harmonies thing merely as another example of The Beatles not pioneering, but rather drawing inspiration from a great idea that was pioneered elsewhere (i.e. by the Beach Boys).

Also, that statement about me "trying to disprove claims no one's made" is based on a single comment that I made. So it seems a bit odd to say "you seem to spend more of your time doing X".

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 05-30-2008 at 03:34 AM.