Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 03:37 AM   #1668 (permalink)
Laughing Boy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Wilson was influenced by the so-called unity of the album. That each song seemed to lead into the next (any such effect at any rate is the work of George Martin who assembled the tracks). Wilson was not influenced by the SOUND. The Beatles, on the other hand, were influenced by the SOUND of Pet Sounds. What part of that is difficult to understand?
I think you're just showing your ignorance of the Brian Wilson and the Beatles here. Rubber Soul challenged him to make a great album, not just a flowing group of songs, one listen will show you Pet Sounds it's much more than that. Hearing Rubber Soul would spark a the most beneficial to music rivalry ever. Without Pet Sounds Sgt. Peppers wouldn't have happened and without Rubber Soul Brian Wilson would've never felt the competitive need to top anything and never made Pet Sounds. Why is it so hard for you to give the Beatles some credit?

Quote:
I brought up the vocal harmonies thing merely as another example of The Beatles not pioneering, but rather drawing inspiration from a great idea that was pioneered elsewhere (i.e. by the Beach Boys).
The Beatles had been using vocal harmonies since Please Please Me. It wasn't a new concept then and it wasn't when the Beach Boys used it either. I couldn't tell you how old of an idea it is but the Weavers were doing it too back in the 40s.