Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #1669 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Boy View Post
I think you're just showing your ignorance of the Brian Wilson and the Beatles here but trying to motivate it to your own needs. Rubber Soul challenged him to make a great album, not just a flowing group of songs, one listen will show you Pet Sounds is much more than that. Hearing Rubber Soul would spark a the most beneficial to music rivalry ever.
Why an ignorance? An ignorance of what? Demonstrate where the ignorance is, don't just claim that there is one. That is bad discussion. There are but a few simple points here:

1: Wilson was influenced by the unity and flow of Rubber Soul (not the Sound). Wilson was led to make Pet Sounds.
2: The Beatles and Geroge Martin were deeply moved by the SOUND and ideas contained within the actual music of Pet Sounds.
3: The Beatles were led to make Sgt Pepper.

That ties in with the general gist of my point. The Beatles were continuously motivated by the sounds of other bands of the time.

Quote:
The Beatles had been using vocal harmonies since Please Please Me. It wasn't a new concept then and it wasn't when the Beach Boys used it either. I couldn't tell you how old of an idea it is but the Weavers were doing it too back in the 40s.
Read what I said first. I said that the Beach Boys basically started the fire of merging the multi-part harmonies of earlier vocal groups like The Four Freshmen with the Rock'N'Roll rhythms of the late 50s, like Chuck Berry. The Beatles and other Merseybeat bands were influenced by the complex harmonies+rock'n'roll of the Beach Boys.

Now, finally, you seem BENT on trying to make this personal or something. Stop. It does you no credit. You have things to share, and that's fine, I'm interested to hear. You do not need to throw around words like "ignorant" or start claiming that I'm just trying to disprove things nobody has claimed. That lowers you. Stick to discussing the points. I'm here for a discussion, not for a personal bash. I have no issues with you, so do not try to create any. That's not how to conduct a discussion and just makes you appear angry and incapable of sticking to points without having to get in some angry-natured word at the person you're discussing with. This is peaceful. Please keep it that way. If you disagree with something, say and explain why, and avoid the jabs at me personally. It's foolish.