Music Banter - View Single Post - Strat/LP Sound Influence Your Preference in Bands?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackledNitro View Post
I put this up on another forum, but got no love, so I thought I'd try it out here...

Imagine David Gilmour belting the outro of Comfortably Numb on a Les Paul. And imagine Slash rockin' the solos of Sweet Child O' Mine on a Stratocaster. The difference is subtle, but definitive of those two bands' sounds. Does a band's choice of an LP or Strat make you more or less inclined to listen to them?
Tone is in the fingers. By that I mean those two playerrs would sound like those two players regardless of what they played. Same with many others.

Although if you realyl want your question answered: No. For a number of reasons.

1 - Most guitarists have no idea what they're playing, be it LP or Strat style.
2 - Even fewer can make what they're playing sound to its full potential.
3 - Most bands would sound just as crap whether they played millions of pounds worth of gear or not. A case in point is the user 'Imperium' on the megadeth forums. He owns a half stack and 6 guitars, all but 2 of which kick ass. Yet when I recorded my Viper 400 through a computer michrophone that cost me £5, it kicked the absolute **** out of his tone using proper studio mics, because I was using it better.

4 - The few bands that really do kick ass will always find a way to sound good even with terrible gear.

A good example of #4 is Mattias Eklundh. For live tours and so on he uses a Caparison Horus through a 100 Watt Laney Stack. For small clinics I've seen him use an 8 Watt 'Badger' amp, with a distortion pedal made in the USSR he bought for 15 dollars.

In both situations he sounds absolutely fantastic, if a little different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote