Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #1689 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Sure, I wasn't saying the Byrds were exclusive pioneers. They were important however, there's no denying that. They were also very important to the development of country rock and acid rock.
Um, I wouldn't even place acid rock anywhere near the Byrds. Acid rock was pretty much a San Francisco movement. Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, etc all that. As for country rock I think Bob Dylan was much more important to the development of that as well as Buffalo Springfield, The Band and The Flying Burrito Brothers were more important to that. Anyway as for saying the Byrds were pioneers check out this:

Quote:
The Beatles came out about that time and I got really jazzed by the Beatles. I loved what they were doing and they were doing a lot of passing chords. Like instead of just going like G, C, D, they'd go G, Bm, Em, C, Am, to D. So, the minor and passing chords I liked and, I thought these are really folk music chord changes. I kind of got it from what they were doing, I guess because they'd been a skiffle band.

I imagined that they were more folk oriented than they really were. I thought they were probably more a folk band that could play bluegrass banjo and mandolin, but they chose to do pop music because it was more commercial.

Turned out not to be the case. But in my imagination this whole thing developed and I started mixing up old folk songs with the Beatles beat and taking them down to Greenwich Village and playing them for the people there. To the point where a guy put out a sign outside that said, "Beatle Imitations." I was kind of put off by that.
Roger McGuinn from the Byrds. The Beatles basically inspired him to combine folk and rock. I find it really amusing how you've gone about the Beatles taking from the Byrds and the Beach Boys and both Wilson and McGuinn's biggest influences were the Beatles.

Quote:
Correct, I believe that's the same interview/statement quoted above in the thread that I discussed before. The reasoning though was that each song seemed to flow into the next - basically, the apparent unity of the songs. Not just a random assortment but real thought into the arrangement. That inspired Wilson.
Please click the link and read it as opposed to assuming what it is. It's not even an interview it's a nicely written article which explains Pet Sounds and Rubber Soul. If I knew where my Brian Wilson biography was I'd copy that out but it basically says the same thing.

Quote:
Nah I don't say they were style thieves - I just say they didn't really pioneer any of the new emerging styles of the 60s. It's legitimate to take styles and work within them. The Beatles took styles and made them into memorable, good pop music. That's their legacy. Not creating the styles. That's my only point. I don't think the Beatles' innovation should be overstated.
I think the Beatles innovative is being greatly understated by you.