Music Banter - View Single Post - I want to learn the Piano...
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pianuh Teachuh
Groupie

Your desire to play is understandable, and your goals are admirable. I bet that I have had at least 500 people in my life say to me, "I just want to be able to sit down and play." But I do not know ANYONE who can just "sit down and play." Like anything in life, playing piano is a SKILL that is LEARNED. It is learned by repetition, and usually with instruction.

When you SEE someone playing piano music, it is only natural to want to be able to do the same thing. The desire to "sit down and play" is a lot like the desire I have when I watch kids play basketball, and I wish I were good at that. But I only improve my basketball abilities when I grab a ball and practice my dribbling and lay-up skills.

When an adult asks me for piano lessons, I tell them very honestly that the hardest thing about learning as an adult is having the self-discipline to practice regularly (as close to "daily" as possible). When you have work responsibilities and family responsibilites, it can be hard to sit down at a piano on a daily basis to practice for 30 minutes or more.

But, I have three adult students right now who ARE learning.

If you want to learn, find a good teacher. Be committed to practice at least 30 minutes per day. Then, GO FOR IT.

The skill comes partly from your desire to play. But it comes much more from instruction, and daily practice.
Pianuh Teachuh is offline   Reply With Quote