Music Banter - View Single Post - Tom Waits
Thread: Tom Waits
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #214 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingUpRoses View Post
Forgive me for asking because it's probably somewhere in this thread and I'm too lazy to check but, Big3 how do you feel about Rain Dogs? It's one of the few Tom Wait's albums I own and I really enjoy it, but there seems to be a lacking of interest..?
Uh well if you people only saw what I edited out of my casual posts, you probably wouldn't ask my opinion on anything Waits. I'm not sure what you mean by "I really enjoy it, but there seems to be a lacking of interest."

You mean you are lacking an interest, or you feel he's disenfranchised with some of the songs...like he's half-assing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_lips_sink_ships View Post
What album should I start with?
Depends what type of music you're into. Ethan might know your taste better than I would, and he might be able to recommend something to you, but I'll help if you want to PM me what (and more importantly, why) you like.

I guess my responses without further knowledge would be:

@ Lips: Grab Mule Variations, its rootsy and eclectic. Theres some heavy experimentation at times and occasionally it could have come from 1895.

@ Roses: Rain Dog's is a disjointed masterpiece. I feel as if the first 6 trackers aren't the same as the last 6. And neither group is like the middle. I get the idea often enough to conclude its my opinion that this was written in three separate time periods.

The standout tracks, if you're really not getting hit by it, are likely Time, Tango till their Sore*, Downtown Train, and Anywhere I lay my head.

Nothing is bad, those are just better. But certainly tell me what you're into and I'll try and get you something you might like, even if its on another album.

*let that one marinate.