Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #593 (permalink)
Sweet Jane
Music Addict

Dinah's right, this is a cliche topic, but still a pressing one. There are scare stories everywhere, there are corrupt people within every organisation that is supposed to be here to make the world a better place. Soldiers in the army, police officers, lawyers, UN workers, politicians, who will lie, cheat, steal, rape, and exploit people and countries as much as they can while getting paid a nice sum to do so. These bodies needs a much closer watch on what they do, which is obviously hard when they are the regulatory body, but which organisation would we ever really be able to trust to oversee everything was being dealt with correctly? No-one, and you can't allow them all to monitor each other and leave it at that, because they could all join up and break the rules together? That only leaves the general public as the regulatory body, overseeing the goings on of all these organisations. Therefore we really should be doing something about it. I'm no better, I play a very small role in politics and am still studying at uni to try and get a better understanding of all the relevant issues, before hopefully going on to make some sort of difference or contribution, but things are going to stay corrupt as long as everyone remains as apathetic as they are. I don't think anyone who posted on this thread could be described as such, taking an interest is the first step, I know far too many people who don't even care about politics, like it doesn't affect them, then they complain about their tv licensing, university fees, terrorism scares or their poor wages and working conditions. Drives me nuts. Anyway its hard to get out there and single handedly change anything, like Hookers said in his original post things take so long to actually see a result, I can see why people lose hope. But things are getting better all the time. For example, In the UK, we have had an equal pay act in place for over twenty years, yet women are still getting paid less than men in most jobs accross the board. But the gap is narrowing. Things do make a difference, it just takes a some time for implementation and longer again to realise the effect. The same can be done for the state of the UN if people actually take an interest, maybe nothing will change for 20 years but we'll be glad of it when it happens.
And as it happens, I disagree that Hookers is just bitching, he's putting the issue out there for discussion, not in a politics forum but in a music one, to some people who might not ever have otherwise known about the issue. If it gets people thinking for themselves, then well done.

Hobbes: "I'm not sure that man needs the help."
Sweet Jane is offline   Reply With Quote