Music Banter - View Single Post - The Complete Discography thread Van Morrison
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Following the release of "Blowin' Your Mind" Van departed for Warner Brothers Records, but not without a fight. Bang records fought to stop Van from recording for Warner, but eventually Morrison won out and was finally able to have complete creative control and create his premier opus.

Astral Weeks (1968)

Reviewing an album you’ve listened too ten thousand times prior is a near impossible charge when objectivity is considered. Therefore it is reemphasized the objectivity is abandon within my review of Van and his albums. To use what’s probably absurd hyperbole, Astral Weeks saves lives. Still, I can count two in my personal universe it has salvaged. It is a masterpiece of feeling, of passion, of Love. It is what Van wanted to do and what had been running through his mind since he began hearing the songs run through his mind. Van wrote each part and plays almost every instrument on every track in the live tapes. He also co-produced a great portion of the album. Van’s personal life and social skills suffered as a result of his connection to his music, which dominated his life. Consistently ranked among the greatest albums of all time and deservedly so in my opinion...

“Still the most adventurous record made in the rock medium, and there hasn't been a record with that amount of daring made since." Elvis Costello

1. Astral Weeks – Emphatic and perfect. Beautiful and transcending of mood, age or station of life, a masterpiece introduction to a cycle of brilliant explanation pertaining to emotional truth and freedom. The greatest musical personification of Love I’ve ever heard. Departs in a humming tranquility that exudes the message of the whole album perfectly. Playful guitar patterns palpable lyrics as violins hum builds drama and mood around the song alongside the flute which pickups on the guitars raw jubilation. A cycle itself while moving as freely as the soul and spirit of the music. 9.5\10

2. Beside You
– Melancholy illuminates the opening notes, desperation feeds the lyrical desperation. Urgency is the contrasting feel from the deliberate pace of the rhythm. Each measure is an experience; the story unfolds with brilliant dramatics, each chapter more compelling and critical then the last. Stand-up bass is a strong backdrop for the frantic acoustic lead and mystic tones of flautist John Payne. An amazingly relaxing song from start to finish. 8.5\10

“There is no better music to fall asleep by, Astral Weeks is pure and calms your mind, body and soul” Jared Bench

3. Sweet Thing – Carefree and effortless, the simple strumming and distant yet considerable vocals build with the supporting cast, a beautiful cavalcade of music. Featuring string interludes, interruptions and accompaniments; a cycle within a cycle gaining kinetic momentum with each revolution. The passion is unrelenting as each note pierces the willing soul. Van’s take; "Sweet Thing" is another romantic song. It contemplates gardens and things like that...wet with rain. It's a romantic love ballad not about anybody in particular but about a feeling." A favorite of mine for quite a long time; as personally poignant as music gets for me. 9\10

4. Cyprus Avenue – Easing into the design, simple rhythms follow exact fills as the lyrical phrasing, pacing and volume develop the story. As poetic as is necessary without an ounce of insincerity. The utilization of string instrumentals behind improvisational, stream of sentiment lyrics and phrasing develops the number into a pulsating uproar relative to the natural feel prior. The freedom Morrison allows the song gives it a chance to fully develop and come full circle with beautiful implementation. One of the better bass tracks on the album, controlling the music and moving the lot along. Cryptic and casual lyrically very interesting concept perhaps first revealed on this track. The Violin’s entrance midway through the song gives it a bravado that is needed to maintain the flow of the story and the feel. 9\10

5. The Way Young Lovers Do – A crucial vertex of a song within the unintentional concept. A swinging, dramatic number in a very different style then its predecessors yet falls into place completely at home amongst the seeming chaos. Mystery is its identity and it displays that within the album. With a wonderful musical build, it only fails to shine for me because it was initially my least favorite track on the album.. Layered and precise, it uses the entire musical repertoire to create a personal stamp on Astral Weeks. A different type of love song, more bold and conceptual then on the nose and trite. Very surreal dichotomy between music and vocal style is the songs strong point. 8.5\10

“An emotional outpouring cast in delicate musical structures, Astral Weeks has a unique musical power. Unlike any record before or since, it nevertheless encompasses the passion and tenderness that have always mixed in the best postwar popular music, easily justifying the critics' raves.” William Ruhlmann

6. Madam George – Calling back to Cyprus Avenue and reversing the cycle using a different key and adjusting the pacing and building. The same type of calculated and captivating vocal performance persists to drive the song. A moving and motivating bone chiller; still brings me to tears on occasion. The song follows a persistent melody but evolves and emerges throughout with purpose and determination. Bass and acoustic strumming folk style opening gives way to elegant string breezes and graceful flute melody. Stream on consciousness lyrics demonstrate the commitment to tell the story inside the creators mind in a poetic and particular method. 9\10

7. Ballerina – Energy and anticipation not embodied since “Sweet Thing” makes an entrance in the hearty and dynamic Ballerina. ‘Stepping up’ throughout, it builds with painstaking execution towards its goal of intoxication. A bold proclamation of Love beyond surrounding perception or analysis; dynamic at its surface, personal at its core. So many subtle evolutions throughout keeps the listener compelled and at attention. Pushing the cycle full circle, the track entertains and advances with outstanding assiduousness. Another fitting improvised finale pushes the song to its limits. 8.5\10

8. Slim Slow Slider – The haunting, mellowing finale; a bitter sweet goodbye to what has been and rebirth of another day or way. The lyrics discuss saying good bye and death and the song ends as abruptly and ominously as it began. Completing the cycle that began during the title track (lyrics: "would you...could you...be born again") :Slim Slow Slider" fulfills it purpose quickly and desipates before you can say good bye. 8.5\10

“…its mystic poetry, spacious grooves, and romantic incantations still resonate in ways no other music can.” Alan Light

...Defying explanation, Astral Weeks can transform you, there is nothing else like it in music not before and not since. It's this complete originality combined with it's musical purity and raw emotional fortitude that makes it one my all-time favorites by Van or any other artist. Consistency sets apart from other albums that followed with similar structure, there is little doubt in my mind that this was the album Van was born to make.

Here's a Link to the Greatest Review of Astral Weeks Ever

First Time I Listened to it: 1973
Defining Track(s): Impossible to isolate any single track as more important then another on this album, it is the most consistent and complete collection I've ever heard.
Line in my head: "I may go crazy before that Mansion on the Hill"

Star rating: (1-5) (from my personal catalog) *****
How it made me feel today: (1-10): 10
Overall Ranking: TBD (1 or 2)

Next up: Moondance - 1970

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 06-04-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote