Music Banter - View Single Post - Selling Out
Thread: Selling Out
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

the concept of 'selling out' affects just about every cultural scene out there. jazz cats, hippies, punks, metalheads, you name it, any creative outlet that allows for independent development has dealt with it. if you associate yourself with any label besides your own name you will get crap about 'selling out' eventually.

i think a lot of it stems from an emotional attachment to the first independent ideals an individual develops for themselves in their youth and the natural dislike of getting older once you hit legal age.

i'm always reminded of this saying when it comes to discussions about the selling out of ideals - if your ideals aren't front and center when you're 20 then you don't have much of a heart. if they're still front and center when you're 30 you don't have much of a brain.

that's not to say people should simply abandon their ideals, but placing them front and center generally creates conflict and strife since most ideals are personal opinions on how other people (be it cultural groups, governments, art scenes, etc.) should behave. and when's the last time anyone here enjoyed being told how to think or act? (regardless of the direction of the change in behavior)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote