Music Banter - View Single Post - Looking for "Thunderous" Classical Music
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pianuh Teachuh
Groupie

I will have to try Roivas's list. The Janacek sinfonietta is the only one I recognize - (and that is a cool piece!)

Here is my two-cents' worth:

Try:
Beethoven Symph No. 5 (1st movement)

A small part of Beeth Symph No. 6 described a thunder-storm

Mahler had a tendency towards the thunderous. I especially recommend parts of Symphony No. 2

Try Copland's Organ Symphony. (AKA Symphony No. 1 - but I personally prefer the recordings that have ORGAN.)

There is a thunderstorm in Act 2 of John Adams' opera "Nixon in China" that would be worth your time.

The "Dies Irae" of the Verdi Requiem would probably fit the bill. I once saw a percussionist play the bass drum like he was swinging a baseball bat!

Parts of the Carl Nielsen Symphony No. 4 (nicknamed "Inextinguishable" Symphony) could be called thunderous. There are TWO sets of tympani.

I agree with everyone who recommended "Mars, the god of war" from "The Planets" by Holst. A cool little tune in 5/4 time.

You might like the climax from Leonard Bernstein's "Mass" (which was the piece that opened the Kennedy Center in Washington DC).

And, of course, there is the last movement of Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite ... which described in music the sudden thunderstorms that can break out over the canyon. Also try Grofe's "Niagara Falls Suite."

You probably know Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor," but that is the most "thunderous" piece I know from the Baroque era.

Haydn's "Mass in the Time of War" (Missa in tempora belli) sorta comes to mind too.

If you can find a recording of William Bolcom's "Black Host" for organ, percussion and tape, I think you will find that very satisfying too.

Some parts of the "War Requiem" by Benjamin Britain are pretty thunderous, IMHO.

There is my two-cents' worth.
Pianuh Teachuh is offline   Reply With Quote