Music Banter - View Single Post - The Strokes
Thread: The Strokes
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #96 (permalink)
the_dp
Self Reliant Independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
I like First Impressions Of Earth, although i've changed my mind over this album so many times, i have phases with it. It wasn't what anyone was expecting and kudos to them for that, change the formula a bit. They didn't with Room On Fire and it was bloody boring.
I actually had an argument with this emo who insisted that Room On Fire was better than First Impressions of Earth, yet he couldn't iterate one reason why. I bought Room On Fire on vinyl hoping to get a kick out of it. It was listenable, but lacked any drive, almost keeping the formulaic nature of the first album but without the fun. Casablancas singing almost sounded like he was just trying to say the lyrics to just get the album done. First Impressions of Earth was as listenable as Is This It? mostly in that the emotion was conveyed. Really, its hard to like the Strokes when they were so glorified to fall so mightily and basically become a garden variety second tier indie band, but I can listen to First Impressions of Earth and it puts me in a good mood.

I wanted to punch said emo kid, but he was way high and may have not known what he was saying. But he really looked like he meant it and thought his opinion was OBVIOUSLY right. But I guess people get a lot of that in the whole indie hipster pretentious face-off.

My real problem with the strokes is that they never really had to work that hard coming from money, and so they never innovated their sound enough to be relevant. If they made it or not, their daddies would bail them out. They never paid their dues, and having friends who are trying to make it in the music world, I kind of want to tell them to go get on a yacht somewhere or get out there and bust your ass to make good music. Ya know, its like I love the music, but I think they are pretty fake as people. But even so, can't get over liking the music.
the_dp is offline   Reply With Quote