Music Banter - View Single Post - women rights... don't just ignore this
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
hookers with machineguns
Music Addict

I noticed women's rights activists like to bring in this issue about muslim women, completely disregarding the cultural differences. Are there no muslim women in your area? Yes, there are some that are "westernized", but most wear these garments, whether they are in the kingdom, the US, or in Iran. I dont know anything abou the Qur'an, so I'm not going to try to explain the religious aspect. But, it's not a matter of whether they have to, but I think they want to. In Iraq, it was a slightly different story, because women were typically not employed in government and had to cover their entire body (including the face).
You come off sounding racist, I know that's not what you were trying to portray. But, you shouldn't feel bad. They might not be able to wear spagetti straps and flip-flops and belly rings, but I doubt they want to either. This is their culture, that is the only thing they know, and want to know. The global community always speaks in terms of "saving" the Islam world. From what?