Music Banter - View Single Post - Since all the other Canadians are slacking...
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
ashtray
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
you do know hockey night in canada was in negotiations to change networks a while back right? (2 seasons ago if i remember right). while the CBC is good at is screwing up, the CRTC content laws (while well intended) don't always work to the benefit of the broadcaster.

while it sucks that the tune is leaving the CBC at least it's going to another canadian broadcaster as opposed to ESPN. it's also not like the song hasn't been reworked and re-arranged over the past 40 years too.

it's not like TSN doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to sports broadcasting either, couple that with the 6 year extension they signed last week with the NHL that gives them even more canadian team coverage.

nothing lasts forever. you can either whine about it or move on. effing swearing your effing head off only makes it seem like you're overcompensating for the fact that you didn't care until it was too late.

canadian hockey has nothing to do with broadcasting. it has nothing to do with a loud mouth in a suit and like it or not, it has nothing to do with a big band jazz ditty. it's always been about sportsmanship, hard work, and camaraderie. THAT is what don cherry focused on for every coach's corner broadcast. he'd always try to find someone who embodied that behavior to showcase them on his segment. or conversely he'd find someone who went against those ideals and would publicly call them out, calling them cheap bums and goons. and that's what the public was drawn to, he didn't kiss anyone's butt, he called it like he saw it and always maintained a clear view of what constituted good hockey - being a good sport.
That may all be true but come on. Dah na na na na naaaaaa......dah na na na na na naaaaaa. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its just such a nostalgic thing to CANADIANS not just sports fans so thats why even when ignorant people like me hear about it, it sucks dude.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote