Music Banter - View Single Post - How Much Do You Hate Dream Theater?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #136 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Aside from Labrie, they're all fantastic musicians, Portnoy especially, they can pretty much play anything they want, so why they choose to play something so cheesy and derivative is beyond me.

Even for prog, theres still such a thing as being too robotic. Guys like The Mars Volta and Muse may not be as technical, but they have a raw energy that makes them more compelling. And then you have other bands like Ozric Tentacles who are just as technically gifted, but they are making something unique with what they have. DT should at least cut down on the wankage and try to do something more cohesive like Porcupine Tree are doing. And for gods sake get a new singer.

Dream Theater have been around a good while and they haven't shown a lot of progression in their career. Many of the great prog bands have evolved rapidly throughout their career, but Dream Theater have pretty much stayed the same.

Dream Theater were one of the first prog metal bands, so they deserve credit for that at least, but they mix prog and metal in such an plain and obvious way, personally I don't think they suit either genre very well.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.