Music Banter - View Single Post - Best place to self teach guitar?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
ashtray
Music Addict

I will offer what I know. When I started learning it was strictly chords. Simple songs like Steve Millers "The Joker" and Nirvana's "About a Girl". These kinds of songs are great for people that just want to learn a bit of guitar because you learn your chord structures and rhtyhm (rhythm I don't see you having much trouble with). I've been playing for a while and when I started getting bored of tabs and chords I started learning theory. See when you know your chord structures allready when you start learning theory everything really comes together (root notes, scale structure). But I would recommend anybody starting out to just learn your scales (start with major of course) and play the hell out of it everywhere all over the neck. I believe that is the best way to learn but sadly the most boring. Thats why most people start out playing "About a Girl" and if they don't get bored of it they just get better.
EDIT : A very fun scale to just mess around with is the Blues Scale (Pentatonic I think). It's what so much rock and blues have been based around and is real simple to play but there is so much you can do with it. I advise you to print out some tabs with major minor and pentatonic scales and just go hard man. Oh and yeah don't forget with bit torrent all the cool apps you can acquire to help you learn. I'm sitting on "Metal Method" right now just haven't had time to practice lately.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote