Music Banter - View Single Post - Lil Wayne : Tha Carter III
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Lil Wayne is fucking prolific, the problem with prolific artists is the amount of filler. Now maybe it's his need to make money and be a mainstream artist that makes him record some banal stuff or maybe it's just filler but if this album was half the length it is it really would be Excellent worthy. But whatever, Lil Wayne's still releasing (and sometimes not releasing just giving) more music worthy of my time than every other mainstream hip hop artist (yet I've heard Kanye West.) I'm voting Very Good and I'll just ignore the filler.

Okay I'm not going to ignore the filler, I find Got Money kind of lame but the Ella Ella Ella Rihanna call made me smile and when he went "I'm the bomb like tick tick tick" I couldn't help but smile more. Sure some of this is just club hip hop but it's not serious and there's the appeal. Okay back to the worthy tracks.

Lil Wayne compares himself to Tupac he compares himself to Biggie is he as great? No, is he getting up there? Well if he follows up on some of the ideas and stylistic oddities he hints at (Phone Home, Let the Beat Build, etc.) and stops recording crap like Comfortable he very well could be mentioned in the same breath, even if he is of a different era.

This albums best moments are probably the very touching Katrina inspired Tie My Hands, a track that could make even haters admire him slightly. Dr. Carter which is an ironic follow up to Comfortable but a great song nonetheless and finally Let the Beat Build is excellent. I love how his voice carries the track. Phone Home is I think my favorite song on there, it's so spacey and it's such an excellent use of the piano. I'm saddened by the lack of I Feel Like Dying though not going to lie.

Okay so this isn't the Lil Wayne album I've been waiting for and that kind of disappoints me but at the same time I enjoyed it. That probably wasn't clear given my review but I'm dead tired to be honest (which is why some of this is probably incoherent) and I did even find the more mediocre moments completely entertaining and he's still got the most amusing pen in hip hop.