Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #1745 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dp View Post
I said the guy is overrated and you people prove my point. You can't say "wow, he really sang that song well." or "wow, his guitar was wonderful on that song" or "wow, that song meant a lot to me." it is just some dumb understanding that people have that he is good.
Don't be a douche, of course you can feel that way about a Bob Dylan song. I'm no Dylan fan and I certainly think he's overrated. But calling him an objectively bad musician is just garbage. He's not a great singer or guitarist by any means, but he wrote songs where virtuosity isn't required. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
He isn't wasn't and no artist that was primarily influenced by Dylan is good.
This is the most idiotic thing I have heard in a long time.

Quote:
Come on! Michael Stipe? Self-important crybaby political ponce.
Newsflash, most rock stars are self important, that dosen't take away anything.

Quote:
John Lennon? WAAAYYYY overrated.
It's hard not to be a little overrated when you're the greatest songwriter in popular music.

Oh and calling Lennon overrated dosen't take away form Dylans impact, he was a big influence on Lennon who in turn is one of the most influencial songwriters of all time. Rest assured you some music that's influenced by The Beatles.

Quote:
Jimmy Hendrix? Like'em, but not THAT influenced by Dylan; and probably more Chuck Berry than Dylan
Wrong. He was very influenced by Dylan. As a guitarist he was more influenced by players like Buddy Guy, but as a songwriter and lyricist he considered Dylan a big inspiration to him. It's even been alledged that the reason he hired Noel Redding as his bassist was because he liked his Dylan hairstyle.

Quote:
Neil Young? Many influences and far superior to Dylan in songwriting, singing and performing, not to mention more of a contemporary than anything.
I too think Young is better, but that dosen't take away from Dylans impact.

Quote:
And which of those artists are actually new? none, because younger generations are smart enough and not too brainwashed to realize Dylan was pure crap.
Conor Oberst, Elliot Smith, Tom Pety, Roger Waters, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, David Bowie and The Byrds were all influenced by Dylan.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.