Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Radiohead Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #692 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggyMan View Post
Sail To The Moon and several others are just very predictable, maybe filler isn't the right word. I don't really see much new territory covered, it's basically a rehash of their career. Amnesiac is much stronger songwise imo.
I love it when people say that, since Amnesiac in turn also doesn't cover much new territory that wasn't scaled in Kid A. This is unsurprising since, as people still don't seem to acknowledge (though it's fact), most the recordings for Amnesiac were done in the same sessions as Kid A in 2000 and hence most of the songs could equally have appeared on Kid A, but didn't make the cut. Anyway, an Amnesiac vs Kid A argument is totally out of context here, but I have to point out that Amnesiac contains very little unchartered territory that was not on Kid A (and why should it? see above), so why should Hail To The Thief get any more criticism than Amnesiac for not being exactly earth shatteringly innovative?

HttT might be construed as a "rehash of their career" as you put it, but it's a rehash which blends ideas together, refines them, and throws them out in the overall more important format of well-conceived, strong, polished song-writing. And it's a winner.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote