Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Side Projects
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Default Favorite Side Projects

I know I have always been really into side project bands. For one, it gives you a different look at an artist that you may or may not be familiar with. It gives artists a chance to explore different avenues in terms of their musical tastes or perhaps even a directional change in their career. In order to put some sort of boundary on this to avoid chaos - I'm going to use the wiki definition of side project to keep us in line here.

"Usually these projects emphasize a different aspect of that person's or that band's musical interests that they feel they cannot explore within the boundaries established by their main project. Side projects can later become full-time endeavours, but shouldn't be confused with quitting a band for a solo career or another band."

I am also going to include "Supergroups". This is your chance to surprise some people! Write up a review or a blurb on a favorite band of yours, highlight some qualities that would make them seem attractive as per usual. There is no limit on time period - you can do David Bowie's involvement in Tin Machine to Pinhead Gunpowder to The Traveling Wilburys to Temple of the Dog.

Derek and the Dominos

The Lineup:
Eric Clapton
Duane Allman
Bobby Whitlock
Carl Radle
Jim Gordon

As you can tell from the lineup; the blues are strong with this one. Derek and the Dominos only released one album, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (an album appreciated by the MB community, it has been included in one of our prestigious lists, I believe). This was one of the first albums I had on vinyl. It was included in a huge box of albums that a friend's mom gave me. I I have since downloaded the album, and bought it in CD form - but nothing is quite like putting this album in my vintage record player and pretending like I can play the blues like these gents. The band was short lived, however, and due to problems with Clapton's mental stability (affected by the death of Hendrix, a close friend of Clapton) and, of course, the tragic death of Duane Allman.