Music Banter - View Single Post - Red Hot Chili Peppers
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #464 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

the chili peppers are the reason i started playing music in the first place. i'll always remember the day i first heard their music.

it was spring 1990, i was watching over my cousins at my aunt's house and had muchmusic (canadian version of MTV) going on the tv while i did homework. they had a metal show called 'the power hour' every night, and that evening was an interview with metallica while they were in toronto for their justice tour.

the only person that was awake when the crew showed up was lars so it became the lars ulrich hour. at one point they asked him what band out of LA was really catching his attention, lo and behold it was RHCP. so they played a video 'show me your soul', i thought it was kind of weird but i dug it by the end of the tune.

then later in the broadcast he asked for more peppers. so they played 'jungle man' and THAT is when my head cracked. i had never really heard anything quite like it before, i was totally shocked. flea's bass splattered my perceptions of music all over the place and hillel's guitar just scooped it back up into my skull. it was the coolest thing i had ever heard and i KNEW i wanted to play music after that.

they closed the show with 'higher ground' and i was sold on the peppers. while i've since grown away from their style i won't ever deny the massive influence they had on me during my adolescence. reading about people like eric dolphy and charles mingus through interviews with flea and frusciante also got me listening to jazz a lot sooner than i likely would have on my own as well.

also, if the peppers are on hiatus and frusicante isn't feeling like working on a solo disc i REALLY hope this means flea is finally getting to work on the solo disc he's been hinting at for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote